A reading list: Generation Ships
I have a story idea that I’m fleshing out and it’s got me thinking a TON about long voyages between stars. I’m specifically thinking about non-FTL scenarios, and I’m wanting to pull together a reading list that I hope to tackle in the near future. Here’s what I’ve got so far, looking at recent novels and branching back into older stuff that’s on my radar but I haven’t read yet. I’d love more recommendations, particularly if you know some good short stories (like Overtaken that I mentioned recently).
- Elizabeth Bear’s Jacob’s Ladder series.
- Greg Bear’s Hull Zero Three
- the recent YA Across the Universe by Beth Revis
- Neal Stephenson’s Anathem – I gave up on this after a few hundred pages, intimidated by the length and unsure if the destination was worth it, but I’m willing to pick it up again.
- Some of Alastair Reynolds’ Revelation Space books.
- Gene Wolfe’s Long Sun – I saw this tagged “generation ship” somewhere (possibly amazon) and have been meaning to read it anyway.
- Poul Anderson’s Tau Zero
I’m sure there’s plenty else out there. I’d LOVE to find something where this is a bit more routine and a little less disaster movie if that makes any sense. Any and all suggestions appreciated.