2012 Hugo and Campbell Awards Winners
So, I was one of the 600+ ustream users who were watching the Hugo awards live. Shortly after Neil Gaiman got on stage to accept the award for Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form, ustream replaced the video with a message that Worldcon had been removed for Terms of Service Violation. Up until that point, I’d been enjoying awards on my TV via Apple TV AirPlay Mirroring. The general consensus is that it was the short for clips which caused the ToS take down…
The silver lining to this is that I got to enjoy the categories which I tend to pay less attention to. You can see the full list of winners and nominees on the locus website and plenty of other places.
So, a list:
- I complained in multiple venues about ustream, but my favorite reaction was the prompt editing of the Ustream Wikipedia Page. Props to MarkVolundNYC. Anyone want to take bets on how long that edit remains?
- Attached to the winners announcement over at thehugoawards.org is the complete breakdown of the voting. I found it interesting that 3 game of thrones episodes were nominated for short form, but marked as ineligible because of the long form nomination. I wonder if TV series which aren’t fully contained in one year are still eligible for long form and if so which year.
- I updated the Hugo Winner TagShadow.
- John Picacio‘s acceptance speech for Best Professional Artist included shout outs for Richard Powers and Jim Burke
- Speaking of John Picacio, I went looking for other covers from 2011 and found Times Three an omnibus of Robert Silverberg novels about time travel, which thus became the 5000th work I’ve added to TagShadow.
- I hope the video evidence of the awards survive as I quite enjoyed Scalzi’s opening remarks and seeing E. Lily Yu win the “not a hugo award.”
- Gaiman, during his acceptance speech implied that he’s writing another Doctor Who script
I’ll leave you with the on clip of the nominee for Best Dramatic Presentation – Short Form which was LEAST likely to have caused the Ustream ToS fiasco: