2009 Hugo Ballot
I find myself excited about speculative fiction awards this year. I’ve been helping enter awards on LibraryThing (Hugo Nominees). When the Hugo Ballot was announced, I noticed that I had 2 of the 5 novels and had really enjoyed one of the novellas, so I went ahead and picked up the other 3 novels, and tracked down most of what’s listed below so that I can have my own opinion this year. I’m going to update this post with links to my reviews, and as many places as I can find the stories.
9/20 half Most of the items I listed below are available for free online in one form or another.
(639 Ballots / Bulletins)
- Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Morrow; Atlantic UK)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins; Bloomsbury UK) – videos of Gaiman reading the entire book over the course of a book tour.
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Tor Teen; HarperVoyager UK) Free Download –
- Saturn’s Children by Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit UK)
- Zoe’s Tale by John Scalzi (Tor)
(337 Ballots / Bulletins)
- “The Erdmann Nexus” by Nancy Kress (Asimov’s Oct/Nov 2008) — read online
- “The Political Prisoner” by Charles Coleman Finlay (F&SF Aug 2008) – Read Online
- “The Tear” by Ian McDonald ( Galactic Empires)
- “True Names” by Benjamin Rosenbaum & Cory Doctorow ( Fast Forward 2) — Read Free, Listen Free, MentatJack Review
- “Truth” by Robert Reed (Asimov’s Oct/Nov 2008) – read online
(373 Ballots / Bulletins)
- “Alastair Baffle’s Emporium of Wonders” by Mike Resnick (Asimov’s Jan 2008) — Read Online
- “The Gambler” by Paolo Bacigalupi ( Fast Forward 2) — Read Online
- “Pride and Prometheus” by John Kessel (F&SF Jan 2008) — Read Online
- “The Ray-Gun: A Love Story” by James Alan Gardner (Asimov’s Feb 2008) — Read Online
- “Shoggoths in Bloom” by Elizabeth Bear (Asimov’s Mar 2008) — Read Online
Best Short Story
(448 Ballots / Bulletins)
- “26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss” by Kij Johnson (Asimov’s Jul 2008) — Read Online
- “Article of Faith” by Mike Resnick (Baen’s Universe Oct 2008) – Read Online – listen on EscapePod
- “Evil Robot Monkey” by Mary Robinette Kowal ( The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Volume Two) Read Online
- “Exhalation” by Ted Chiang ( Eclipse Two) Read Online – listen on EscapePod
- “From Babel’s Fall’n Glory We Fled” by Michael Swanwick (Asimov’s Feb 2008) – read online
[edit 2009-03-23] I found the Pride and Prometheus link via Joe Sherry’s Blog
[edit 2009-03-24]Thanks to John Ottinger over at Grasping for the Wind for links to some of the short stories.
[edit 2009-04-14]Thanks to Realms of Speculative Fiction for a few more novella links and the last short story I was missing. Also thanks to Joe Sherry for the Graveyard Book link.